Monday, February 21, 2011

An Evening With: Henry Rollins


I can't feel my ass. I have been sitting in the same chair for well over 3 hours. My legs are at this point completely numb and if I don't find the restroom in the next four minutes I might just pee in my pants.

I knew exactly what I was getting myself into and wouldn't have it any other way. I have seen Henry's spoken word before and couldn't have been more entertained. The self proclaimed "curmudgeon" was celebrating his big 5-0 in Los Angeles with a string of his famous "Talking Tour" dates.

The show was held at Largo (at the Coronet) an old L.A. venue that is peculiarly anal and covert about their ticket sales and "rules". First off you cannot but tickets online. You have to call their box office which is seemingly hardly ever open....not that it matters because THEN you have to leave a message in the specific way they request & the'll get back to ya...days later. Your voicemail from them IS your ticket, so better not delete it!


Ok your all paid up and on the list. Now-No cell phones, no cameras and DO NOT be late they will lock you out. My first instinct is to roll my eyes at all the hoops you have to jump through but who am I kidding , I'm compulsively on time if not early sooo....

Largo - I like your styyyyyle

My friend Shannon and I arrived at the venue, parked and headed across the street to the aptly named "Sushi on La Cienega" That is exactly what we were doing: eating sushi on La Cienaga. I don't think creativity is a strong suit for the owners. In case the cryptic name threw you off, its also right next door to this place:

Food consumed. Large Asahi's put away we head back to the venue and take our seats. Lights go down and we are briefed, again by a high strung employee on the "rules". The music is cut off and Mr. Rollins takes the stage. He's about 90% grey, small and compact yet at 50, still muscular and if nothing else overflowing with energy. This was the 5th and last of his L.A. dates in a row but you would have thought it was his first. 


He has the stamina of a crackhead, the humor of a standup and the insightful current affair knowledge of a CNN correspondent... and he is PUMPED to tell you about everything on his mind, even if it does take 3 hours. Because we the audience feared certain death if we touched our cellphones I have no photos or audio. Instead, ill give you a quick rundown of the topics covered.

-Egypt (obviously)
-The union protests in Wisconsin 
-The importance of travel and the direct connection between travel, peace & tolerance.
-Girl looses eye at Black Flag show after not moving out of the way of a 200+lb. stage diver
-Nicely making fun of North Korea & their overinflated visions of their accomplishments 
-Reciting Bush's book  Decision Points in the "Bush voice" in Costco
-His admiration for Tranny Prostitutes 

...and MANY more, its difficult to remember it all, there is SO much information being hurled at you. Just so you get a better idea of how the shows play out this is a clip of an older show..one of my favorites.

This old picture is amazing and hilarious and I COULD NOT leave it out . Your welcome.

It was no surprise that the show was fantastic. Inspirational, entertaining, thoughtful and engaging. I think I speak for everyone by saying we would have happily sat for 3 more hours. After the show he graciously took photos with people and could not have been more polite and generous. He truly is a class act an I look forward to the next.

OH, and he never took a drink of water , in 3 hours. There wasn't even water on stage... don't know why I find that fascinating.



No comments:

Post a Comment